20 lines weekly challenge
We had a stellar week , a lot of submissions and sharing . Thanks to all that contributed to the challenge .
The results are in for week 2
here are the runner ups ….
- Anne Sikes coming in second for her poem Where Is That Woman ? she had 17 likes
- timzauto for the short story Homesick at 10 , with 16 votes and beebeesworld for homeward Bound with 16 likes
- Lindy Lee and IMStevenTruong come in with 13 likes each
- nutsfortresure next with 12 likes
- Maggie with her Recollections of Camp had 11 likes
- ndzied1 came in next with 8 likes
- Portia with her awesome poem Shambhala with 7 likes
Now for the winner of the 20 lines weekly challenge week 2
The Laundry Maid
her entry was an awesome poem with 19 likes
I Leave Behind Me (Weekly Challenge)
I am the man you pass by near the Baron Fork Bridge.
Every morning at 7.
The one you can never look directly at.
This coat I wear has faded along with my auburn hair.
The smell of your aftershave reminds me of better times.
Before death and rape took what little was left of my mind.
My family, and my name
As my children look up to a better man than I could have ever been.
I am the mother who brings the man near the Baron Fork Bridge hot coffee, spare change and rolls each morning.
The coat he wears belonged to my father.
Before the War took what was left of him.
I can still hear his booming laugh in the living room.
While my sisters and I played dress up.
I love the way his eyes crinkle up in the corners,
When he smiles and tells me his story.
Only he doesn’t know that we share the same one.
His yearning to be home quashes me.
I leave behind me my blood, and his booming laugh.
The living room I grew up in comforts me
While he eats alone in a cardboard box for one.
I am one firework displayed in Atlantic City.
By hands who could afford me.
Listen to me scream as I raise high above you, if for only a small moment.
I cast my colorful glare above you- my audience.
One short and expensive moment of glory.
I leave behind me waves of dirty smoke in the blackest of skies.
As what was once my audience looks on to a better firework than I could have ever been.
Also with 20 likes was Clive the Cat
Clive the cats homesick entry (weekly challenge)
the night slow and silent
storm loud and violent
Clive was hidden under a car
in the distance he stared at a star
Cleo he knew was pacing at home
worried of late maybe she’d roam
Clive and Cleo shared the same heart
in love they were , couldn’t pull them apart
Clive couldn’t stand being caught in the storm
homesick he was , as he tried to stay warm
he called out for Cleo , but had no return
not to travel far away , soon he would learn
Thanks to all that submitted work this week , and to the blogs who vote , follow and share with us day-to-day . We hope to see you all in the next challenge .
- A time you were homesick (20lines or less weekly challenge) (anexerciseindiscipline.wordpress.com)
- Homesick weekly challenge submitted by beebeesworld (anexerciseindiscipline.wordpress.com)
- IMStevenTruong Weekly Challenge (anexerciseindiscipline.wordpress.com)
- Winners of this week’s challenges and new Poetry Challenge (anexerciseindiscipline.wordpress.com)